Wednesday, December 5, 2012

DIY Marley Twists

Ever since Thanksgiving, my co-workers and I have been playing catch up on a couple of projects.  A Thanksgiving wrap-up post will be available later this week.

Happy December! 

This past weekend, I had my heart set on Marley Twists.  When I went out of town for Thanksgiving, I found out that my sister twisted her hair for the winter.  They looked so nice that I wanted them too, especially since I haven't had them since 2009.  Braids and Twists are kinda expensive and it takes forever to do, so I decided to see how install them myself.  Ever since I had my latest trim in October, my hair has been shorter than what I’m use to.  Co-washing has been making my hair much softer, but I experience shrinkage; making it harder to put my hair in ponytails.  So I decided protective styling will help with letting my hair take a break and give it time to grow.
I saw a post on CurlyNikki and alovelyDAYbr about how to install medium size Marley twists and how simple it was.  I decided to buy the Marley hair before I went out of town and did my research on how to twist the hair and blend it with my kinky-curly hair.
Estimated time: 4 hours
    • 1 hour: washing (sulfate free shampoo and conditioner), deep conditioning and leave-in conditioner
    • 1 hour: 80% air dry and tension blow drying the rest
    • 2 hours: Moisturize hair, Parting sections, separating and fluffing the marley hair, and twisting hair with gel
 Total amount of twists: 26 
  • I brought 2 packs of LoMe Marley hair. 

  • I tangled two twisted so that cut my sections down to 26.
Brian helped me separate the hair.
  •  I parted my hair in 4 big sections.  Next I divided 26 by 4 to see how many mini sections I had to create.  The front sections had 7 and the back had 6.

Maintenance:
  • Spray with oil daily.
  • Wipe through scalp when itchy/on the weekends.
  • Wrap hair with a satin scarf.


Results: Love em’!

Next time I think I will make them tinier but they work for now.  I have gotten so many compliments from everyone, so I think I will do this again after my 3 month trim in January.  Basically I spent $8 for an $80-$180 service! 

And they looked awesome on my birthday yesterday!


---------
Update: January 2013 

I kept this awesome hair style in for a month and it was still low maintenance!  When installing this, make sure you use gel that will keep your natural hair inside the twists.  I had to refresh some areas because my gel didn't have a strong hold.  I will be installing these again in February.  Here are other hair styles I had during the month of December:







2 comments:

  1. Oh wow simple qnd straight foward will defo be trying thi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover