Monday, February 18, 2013

Married Monday: Annual Sweetheart Dance

Finally, my post about the famous Annual Sweetheart Dance for my mother-in-law's sorority.  Every year, since 2004, my husband and I have been going to this dance around Valentine's Day.  This is a dance to help raise money for the sorority's scholarship fund.  At the Sweetheart Dance, we have a nice dinner; a raffle; and of course - dancing!  Because this usually falls around or on Valentine's Day, we don't do anything big on the the 14th.  Below shows Brian and I over the past 9 years:

The dances over the past 9 years.  We didn't dress up for 2005 because I had an Honor's program to attend before it.  We also missed 2012.  My favorite style was from 2010.
Since we missed last year's dance, I was really looking forward to going.  Not only was it the first time we had seen a few people in the past year, it was the first time we went to the dance as husband and wife.  In preparation for previous dances, after Brian and I pick our color scheme, my Mom always helped me find the perfect dress.  This year, we took a different route.
The Dress 
In November, my Mom and sister gave me 3 bags worth of gently used clothes that my sister didn't wear anymore.  A lot of the clothes still had tags on them.  In the bag was a black dress.  My sister had worn this dress in 2005 for her Freshman Cheerleading Ball and threw it in the corner.  My Mom knew my sister had forgotten about it, so she put it in the bag.  When I first saw the dress, I was not a fan of it because it was long sleeved and was down to my ankles.  The thing that won me over was that the back was open.  Since the dress was taken care of, next was the makeup.
The Makeup
I have two basic looks for my makeup, work/church and special events.  I wanted to go more dramatic like 2010, so I wanted to revisit eye liner.  After I receive AMAZING tips from a couple of my friends, I found the look I wanted on Pinterest:
Here are the results:
Hair: Marley Twist Side Bun
Shoes: Payless.com
Dress: Newport-news.com
Jewelry & Purse: Reused from other Dances
This was the first year that I didn't have my Mom help me prepare for the dance.  Since she had to work, we visited her before we went to the dance.  She was soooooo happy to see us:


The dance
The dance was great.  Like I said before, it's a scholarship dance, so there was a variety of ages.  After we ate, the sorority members walked in and made a big circle while calling the other member to join them.  Next, they all sung their famous song and started another line dance.  Afterwards, they had their raffle and opened the floor for everyone to dance.  We didn't get out of our seats this year, but we did catch up and talked with a couple of our friends and family.


I have to say this was my favorite year.  The weather was great - but chilly, family was amazing, and the dance was cool as usual.  Hopefully, I will join the sorority one day to fully participate in the dance!

On Thursday, I will wrap up my post about the Dance and show you how to duplicate my Side Bun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover