Friday, February 24, 2012

Raise the Roof

I've been to a construction site, rode in a lift, and even climbed a ladder down a pipe.  Now, I can add walking on a roof to my list.  I knew that I had to go on the roof of an existing building today, but I didn't know I had to do it right when I got to work.  I had no idea what I was about to face, and I didn't have time to prepare myself.

In 1978, my firm drew plans for a recreation center.  Today, they were hired again to do roof repairs.  The only bad part (well for me at least) is climbing the roof to see the current conditions.  I have been drawing the revisions and looking at pictures for the past couple of months, but my bosses thought it would be time to see the roof for myself.

I'm not going to get into detail with everything but I can sum it up in a few words:
  • Roof Hatches - scary going up, definitely scary going down.  I'm thankful that I had my bosses with me to help.  Going down was the worst part of the whole experience thanks to the wasps that decided to visit.  After my boss went down first, 4 wasps were near the hatch.  I was able to get by.
  • Flat Roofs - not too bad, especially since they have mild slopes.  If not done correctly, you can have a lot of issues with leaking.
  •  Mansard Roofs - Nice to sit on, hard to walk on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover