Monday, August 19, 2013

Recipe #20: Pineapple Whip

Brian and I love finding recipes on Pinterest and added them to our snacks rotation.  So far we have added Banana Ice cream, Muffin Pan Meatloaf, Crockpot Mac and Cheese (Yummm!), Fried Bananas and Apple Ice cream.  After trying these recipes, we usually adapt them to our liking.  Two weeks ago, we found Pineapple Whips on Pinterest!

Recipe from Detoxinista.
Also called "Dole Whip,"  this dairy-free pineapple sorbet can be found at Disneyland or the Dole Plantation in Hawaii.  I've never had the opportunity to try this, so I thought this would be pretty cool to make the homemade version.  The original homemade recipe calls for 3 ingredients; one being 1/4 cups of sugar.  What I love about Detoxinista's recipe is that she substitutes the sugar with honey.  Also, I already had almond milk and pineapples in my refrigerator, so it made me want to try it even more.

Here is her recipe:
Author: 
Serves: 4-6
 
A creamy, fruit-based soft serve dessert!
Ingredients
  • 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon honey (optional, for authentic sweetness)
Instructions
  1. To get started, you’ll want to freeze the pineapple chunks. I chopped mine a day ahead of time, and froze the chunks overnight. You could also purchase frozen pineapple, if you prefer. As you can see from the picture below, the frozen pineapple reached the 6.5 – 7 cup mark on my blender pitcher.
  2. This recipe works best in a high-speed blender, like the Vitamix, because you’ll need to be able to pulverize the frozen pineapple into an ice-cream-like consistency. A normal blender will most likely not work, but a food processor might.
  3. Combine the frozen pineapple with the almond milk and honey, then blend until a frozen sorbet texture is achieved.
  4. For an authentic Dole Whip presentation, transfer the frozen dessert to a large plastic bag, and cut off the tip to create a piping bag. Pipe the pineapple whip into 4-6 dishes, and serve immediately!
  5. Any leftovers can be frozen in an ice cube tray, and used in smoothies later.

Annnnd here are my results:
When I originally tried this, I didn't have frozen pineapples.  I tried it with chilled pineapples and froze the leftovers .  Later, I actually brought frozen pineapples and tried it Detoxinista's way.  The third try was way yummier.

First try: (with chilled, non-frozen pineapple)



This tasted like slushie.
Second try aka Brian's version: (with orange sherbet)
We tried it with orange creamsicle ice cream to try it frozen.


We over blended this one, but I love orange and pineapple together.
Third try: (with frozen pineapples)



This yummy treat was fun to make with Brian and I can't wait to try it again!  Next time, I might add mango.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover