Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Inside the world of Architecture, In a terrible economy

The numbers are in…

Pic: Washington Post

Architecture is at an all time low – 13.9% job unemployment rate.  I believe the Class of 2008 (my class) was the last group to make it before the economy went down the drain...and because of this, I feel for the recent grads.  After all that hard work, there is barely anything out there once you get your foot out the door.  And if you do get a job, you have to worry about furloughs and layoffs.  While I am not in that category, I definitely feel it.  Work is so slow right now, it’s ridiculous.  And the work we do have, I’m having a problem with people and delegation skills.  My work that was suppose to last me for 8 hrs, has just been taken away from me today.  Thank God for Blogger.  

Even though Architecture for us has been horrible for the past 3 years, it does have its rewards.  My elementary school addition (School B) has finally finished construction.  This is my first project that has completed.


Outside of work, to make up for my last bit of hours for my IDP, I have been freelancing.  The only issue with freelancing is that you don’t have the same security as you would working for a firm.  Clients back out and don’t want to pay you, or they put the project on hold.  Also, with freelancing, I feel like I don't get to see Mr. Tibbs or Brian as often because I am stuck behind the computer in another room.  i.e.: This past weekend.

With all these issues, I seriously have reevaluated my future.  After 5 ½ years in Architecture school and 3 ½ years in the profession, should I seriously invest in taking 7 tests to get my license?  Each test are $210.  While I have the opportunity to become an Architect, I also have the opportunity to have a degree to go to waste if the projects are scarce.  Or should I just go back to school and focus on my true passion? Animals.   The only issue with that is that I would have to spend more money and more time on something else.  I could focus on graphic design or even photography for freelancing.  They are more closely related to Architecture and my degree wouldn't go to waste.  I don't know.  

I still have time to think about it, but in the mean time, I will be sharping my skills in my Architectural Programs and Photoshop.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover