Thursday, April 18, 2013

Texture Thursday: Faux Banana Clip Hairstyle

It has now been two weeks since I did a length check for my hair.  As stated during week one, I'm not a big fan of my hair in its straightened form because I have fine hair and my curls don't hold for long.  By week two, my hair usually doesn't respond to pin curls and my roots get a little thicker and try to revert back.  Because of this, I wear my Tibby Do' so I don't have to worry about shrinkage and my styles hold a little longer.  My last attempt didn't go so well, so I decided to try bantu knots.  To avoid the Tibby Do' mishap, I used a butter instead of a light moisturizer for better hold without reverting my hair.  Don't use a creamy moisturizer or gel!  It will cause your hair to revert.

I lightly spritzed my hair with water, applied my Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and followed the method below for my bantu knots and it worked wonders:


Results:


 
Out of the 4 1/2 years I have been natural, I have NEVER tried bantu knots on straight hair.  Crazy, huh?  I got a lot of compliments from my co-workers and even wore my hair out the whole day.  For Wednesday's style, I wanted to put this style in a banana clip, but my hair almost ate the clip! (I go through this when my hair is in its natural state and it sucks!)  Then I came up a solution: create a faux banana clip hairstyle!

Tools:
Bobby pins
Comb Pick

Directions:
If you wear your hair out in the front, make sure you style that first before you begin.

  1. Grab hair from the nape of your neck and separate into two pieces. 
  2. Pull the rest of your hair in the center of your head like you are about to put it in a ponytail.
  3. Grab the left piece and wrap around the hair in the center and secure to the center of your hair with a bobby pin.
  4. Repeat step three for the right piece.
  5. Pin both pieces together.
  6. Secure the sides if necessary. 
  7. Pick the hair in the center if necessary.
Results:

I love it.  Banana clips have not been my friend since I have been natural.  When my hair is straight, it slips out or it makes my hair look thin.  If my hair is curly, the banana clip puts up a fight and rips out my hair before it is defeated.  I think this style is definitely a keeper!

What do you think of this hairstyle?  Do you have problems with using banana clips on your hair?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover